Sunday, June 28, 2015

Baptism


After Church our family usually congregates in the kitchen where we binge snack on whatever is easiest. We usually take advantage of this time to ask the kids what they learned in Primary—mostly to reinforce or correct what they were taught.

This is our interesting conversation with Preston about baptism.

Drew: “What did you talk about in Primary today?”

Preston: “Baptism.”

Drew: “That’s great. What else did you talk about?”

Preston: “Well, we’re all turning eight this year so we talk about baptism a lot. Did you want to get baptized when you were eight, Mom?”

Blaire: “Yes. I remember my baptism and I really liked it. I love the ritual of baptism and the symbolic gesture of taking on the name of Christ. However, when you are baptized it means you will be an official member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and I feel like eight years old is really young to be making commitments to a religious organization. And to be completely honest, it makes me feel kind of sad the Church says that I can’t baptize you, because I’m your mommy.”

Preston: “Well, that’s weird. You’re just as important as Dad. Actually, you’re probably more important than Dad, because he always has to leave and go to work in the morning. You stay here and take care of me.”

(Drew and I both smiled and didn’t feel the need to correct him in that moment, perhaps another day.)

Preston: “Why can’t moms do it?”

Blaire: “We don’t have the keys to the priesthood authority. We’re girls.”

(Preston thoughtfully paused.)

Preston: “I know what we can do. Dad can baptize me and then I’ll become the bishop and I’ll give you the priesthood.”

Blaire: “I appreciate the sentiment, but it doesn’t work that way. The bishop isn’t in charge of women getting the Priesthood.”

Preston: “Who is?”

Blaire: “The prophet.”

Preston: “But I thought the prophet couldn’t make mistakes.”

Drew: “Why do you think the prophet made a mistake?”

Preston: “Because if it makes mommies happy to have the priesthood, well, we should just make them happy. You know, because we’re supposed to be like Jesus. It’s like sharing. I try to share like, Mom. But I don’t like sharing with William at all.”

Blaire: “I’m glad I get to be your mom, Preston. It’s important to learn to share. It’s also important you understand the prophet is a man who can make mistakes. Even Joseph Smith made some big mistakes and ended up hurting a lot of people he loved. But you know what, all of this doesn’t matter nearly as much as what you want. It’s your life and you’re the one who’s going to have to live with your decisions. Dad and I love you no matter what you choose. Do you even want to be baptized?”

Preston: “Yes. I just don’t know when.”

Drew: “What do you mean?”

Preston: “Well, Jesus got baptized when he was 30, but I can be baptized when I’m eight…so I don’t know when I want to be baptized. How old were you when you got baptized, Dad?”

Drew: “Eight, but I don’t really remember much. I remember being wet, getting presents, and feeling happy and warm. If I could do it again, I’d probably do it later. Why do you want to get baptized?”

Preston: “Because I want to be like Jesus, and I want to be closer to my Heavenly Mother and Heavenly Father.”

Drew: “Those are really good reasons.”

Blaire: “I’d be happy to support you in that decision.”